The Hobo is a supporting character in the 2004 animated film The Polar Express. He is a strange man who lives on top of the Polar Express and rides it whenever he feels like it for free. He does not believe in Santa Claus or Christmas, but his negativity tests Hero Boy's faith. Throughout the film, Hero Boy is the only character who sees and directly interacts with him.
He was voiced by Tom Hanks in the film.
- "Is there something I can do for you?"
- "Ain't we all?!"
- "I own this train. Oh, yeah. It's like I'm the king of the train. Yeah, the king of the Polar Express. In fact, I'm the king of the North Pole!"
- "Hey, would you like some Joe? A nice hot refreshment perfect for a cold winter's night."
- "You don't wanna be a bamboozle. You don't wanna be led down to primrose path."
- "Seeing is believing. Am I right?"
- "One other thing. Do you believe in ghosts?"
- "We gotta make the engine before we hit Flat Top Tunnel."
- "So many questions. There is but one inch of clearance between the roof of this rattler and the roof of Flat Top Tunnel. Savvy?"
- "You said it, kid. Not me."
- "There's only one trick to this kid. When I say jump... YOU JUMP!!!"
- "Take a break, kid! How about a nice, good hot cup of Joe?!"